Rules Regarding Tuition and Other Fees
News & Events
May we remind all our students, academic & administrative staff to be informed about the Academic Council decisions.
Rules for Undergraduate Students Regarding Tuition and Other Fees
Detailed information regarding tuition payments is shared with students by the Comptroller's Office before an academic term. All Koç University students are required to comply to these rules and payment deadlines. Students who make payments after the deadline will be charged extra late fees.
The late fees will not be reduced by any scholarships or waivers a student may have.
- ELC students pay the semester tuition for Fall and Spring semesters. No payment is required for summer terms.
Students from the School of Medicine pay the same amount of tuition as students from other colleges while they study in ELC.
Normal course load and below normal course load
Students must take at least 1 credit in Fall & Spring semesters (except for their first semester, where they have to take their assigned full course load unless they have a consent from their advisors to underload- if student underloads with a consent, he/she will get a refund for the courses he/she drops). The table below shows how tuition is calculated depending on the number of courses and credits a student takes. Students who did not pay necessary fees cannot register for courses.
Note: All School of Medicine (SOM) students (excluding 2nd semester students) are required to pay the full SOM tuition according to their scholarship/waiver status. All 2nd semester SOM students are required to pay according to the table below. 1st semester SOM students pay full tuition and then get refund if they drop courses with a consent from their advisor.
- Normal course load and below normal course load
|Number of Course(s) taken by the Student||Tuition Calculation|
|1||20% of full-tuition regardless of the number of credits|
2 or more courses, but less than the normal course load of the student
20% of full-tuition for all courses with 2 credits and above
10% of full tuition for all courses with 1* or 1.5 credits
|Normal course load or overload||Full-tuition|
*ALIS. 100, UNIV. 101, HIST. 100 and KOLT. 101 courses are not included in tuition calculation.
The following students can overload (overloading means taking an additional course that has 2 or more credits):
Students whose GPA is at or above 2.70/4.00 (*),
Students who have completed the previous semester (Fall or Spring) with an SPA of 2.70 or above with at least normal course load(*),
Students who are able to graduate by overloading by one course in addition to their regular course load for at most three semesters with one of those semesters being a summer semester,
Double Major students whose request to overload is related to their Double Major program.
Other students cannot overload.
Students do not pay an extra fee for overloading in Fall and Spring semesters.
However, students who satisfy one or more of the overload criteria need to pay the additional course fee for the third course they take in Summer term.
(*) Note: College of Engineering students at Freshman status, who satisfy one or more of the conditions above, may only overload with the approval of their advisor.
Note:Students are required to pay the course fee for each course they take in summer semesters. Course fee in summer semesters is 10% of the Fall or Spring tuition fee (in the same academic year) for 1 and 1,5 credit courses, and 20% of the Fall or Spring tuition fee (in the same academic year) for 2-or-more-credits courses.
1. When taking Leave of Absence (LoA) for one semester, students are required to pay 20% of semester tuition. This fee has been determined as the required fee for Koç University students to keep their student rights (such as the right to use the library and other facilities -except for the dormitories- and to get student certificates). Students on LoA may continue to benefit from their student rights.
2. New-entrants to Koç University (1st-Year ELC students or Freshman Undergraduate students) are required to pay the full amount of the semester tuition (regardless of any scholarships or waivers they may have) if they take an LoA in either of their first two semesters. Student exchange programs approved by YÖK (Higher Education Council of Turkey) are an exception to this rule. Students participating those programs are required to pay the regular LoA fee (20% of semester tuition).
3. Students who do not register in courses (without taking an approved LoA) in a semester or students who do not pay due tuition fees within the payment deadlines are considered inactive and their access to campus facilities will be restricted. If an inactive student has scholarship benefits such as monthly stipends or dormitory scholarship, he/she loses those benefits for the respective semester.
4. Students (except for new-entrants -1st Year ELC students or Freshman Undergraduate students-) may be reimbursed for 50% of the semester tuition they had previously paid (with the condition that the final payment will not be less than 20% of semester tuition) if they take an LoA within the first seven weeks of an academic semester. For LoA requests after the first seven weeks, there are no reimbursements.
- Scholarship Period
1. ELC students with scholarships are entitled to benefit from their scholarship for a two-year (four-semester) period. If an ELC student continues to study in the ELC for a fifth semester, he/she loses his/her scholarship eligibility for the fifth or any other following semester(s) in the ELC under normal circumstances. Such ‘delayed ELC students’ may register for a fifth (or for any other following semesters) after paying the full ELC tuition. These students will regain their scholarship eligibility once they start their undergraduate program in freshman status.
2. After ELC, Students are eligible to benefit from their scholarships for twelve semesters in School of Medicine (SOM) and for eight semesters in other colleges. Students who complete the ELC in one or three semesters and who begin their undergraduate programs in Spring semester as irregular students may be eligible for an extra semester with scholarship if and only if their irregular status prevents them from completing their program in eight semesters.
3. The semester(s) a Koç University student spends on exchange program is/are counted towards his/her scholarship duration by default. Only in extraordinary circumstances, such as the cancellation of a class the student was planning to take on exchange by the host school, may the scholarship duration of the student be extended. The extension only covers the number of courses the student could not take during his/her exchange program. The student has to submit a petition to the Executive Council for an extension.
4. Double Major students with scholarships are given at most two additional semesters with scholarship eligibility if they cannot complete their Major or Second Major within their regular scholarship period.
- Rules Regarding LoA for Students with Scholarships
1. New-entrants to Koç University (1st-Year ELC students or Freshman Undergraduate students) are required to pay the full amount of the semester tuition (regardless of any scholarships or waivers they may have) if they take an LoA in either of their first two semesters (Student exchange programs approved by YÖK, Higher Education Council of Turkey, are an exception to this rule; students participating those programs are required to pay the regular LoA fee -20% of semester tuition-), or if they do not show up in classes. Such ELC students lose their scholarship eligibility for the rest of their ELC study.
2. Students (except for new-entrants -1st Year ELC students or Freshman Undergraduate students-) who do not enroll for an academic semester without the approval of the relevant Koç University Councils lose their additional scholarship benefits (monthly stipends, textbook waivers, dormitory rights, etc.) for that semester. Such New-entrants (1st Year ELC students or Freshman Undergraduate students) are required to pay the full amount of semester tuition regardless of any scholarships or waivers they may have and such 1st Year ELC students lose their scholarship eligibility for the duration of their ELC study.
3. If a student is on LoA in a particular semester, that semester is counted towards the scholarship duration of the student by default.
Students who are suspended for one or more semester(s) are not required to pay any fees for the semester(s) they are suspended. That semester will not be counted towards the scholarship duration of the student.
SOM students taking classes (classes not delivered by SOM) in summer term are required to pay the same course fees as the students from other colleges.
Koç University students studying in another university on exchange programs are required to pay the full Koç University semester tuition.
Students who return to university by an amnesty law must pay the tuition fee which is determined for new entrants in the respective academic year.
Normal Course Load: 5 courses at or above 2 credits each
Overload: A course with 2 or more credits taken in addition to the student's regular course load for that semester
Semester tuition: Tuition a student is required to pay when he/she takes normal course load after his/her relevant scholarships/waivers are applied